- Churches kept records of the christenings, marriages, deaths, or other information about their members
- Newspapers contain information such as notices of marriages, notices of death, and obituaries
- Town and county histories about the settlers and their families
- Naturalization and citizenship were recorded by the courts as early as 1850
- Ship passenger lists, tax lists, and town records were recorded from 1850s
Note: Los Angeles County residents may also have records in neighboring counties.