We have genealogists who perform in-depth research in the Massachusetts State Library in Boston, Massachusetts. The library collections include:
- City and town directories from 1789 to 1981, covering most Massachusetts communities
- Tax valuation records from late 1600s to 1811
- Town reports dating to early 1800s
- Vital records to 1850, include birth, marriage, and death information transcribed from town and church records, cemeteries, and private sources
- Historical Map Collection, including Sanborn fire insurance maps and real estate atlases, panoramic maps (or bird’s-eye views), railroad maps and profiles, county atlases, current and historic topographic maps, and printed maps issued by Massachusetts state agencies.
Many of the available collections are listed on their website.
The library has the Zimmer Index available for searching online. This is a subject index to Boston-area newspaper articles ca. 1878-1937.
We’ll search records for you and email you digital images of what we find.
Research fees in the Massachusetts State Library vary according to the request.