We have genealogists who perform in-depth research in the Library and Archives collections at the Wisconsin Historical Society (WHS).
The Wisconsin Historical Society is one of the top five genealogy libraries and archives, collections at the FHS focus on genealogy and local history, not just for Wisconsin, but for all of North America, including Canada.
Collections include but are not limited to:
- Books, pamphlets and newspapers, many found nowhere else
- County/circuit court records for Dane, Columbia and Sauk Counties are onsite; records for other counties held by WHS at its Area Research Centers must be transferred and will therefore take longer
- Wisconsin Adjutant General’s Civil War records (WI soldiers only)
- Wisconsin State Prison files
- Wisconsin Corporation records
- Wisconsin Plat maps and other land records
These materials and others should first be identified in the Archives online catalog or the Library online catalog WorldCat. Note that names of individuals are not usually included in catalog descriptions, so research must be done by us to determine if records for a person are located within a logical chosen source.
We’ll search records for you and email you digital images of what we find. In cases where it is not possible to scan an item, we will mail you photocopies.
Research fees in the Wisconsin Historical Society start at $300 and are based upon the request.
We also have Wisconsin genealogists.
To request in-depth research, request a research quote.